The neighbourhood of Podil was once the home of Kiev’s merchants and artisans. It is linked to the Upper Town by the Funicular Railway and Andrew’s Descent.
The area is relatively untouched by the 20th century and offers many attractions and historical landmarks:
- Kontraktova Ploscha (Contracts Square) – A central square named after Contracts House, a trading centre where merchants from the Russian Empire signed trading contracts.
- National University of Kiev Mohyla Academy – Ukraine’s most prestigious university.
- Fountain of Sampson – Situated at Kontraktova Ploshcha this fountain was built in the 18th century but destroyed by the Bolsheviks in the 1934. It was rebuilt in 1981.
- Poshtova Ploscha (Postal Square) – Historic square, served by the Poshtova Ploshcha Metro Station.
- Museum of One Street – Small museum dedicated to the history of Andrew’s Descent.
- Funicular Railway – Offers a scenic trip between Podil and the Upper Town (St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery).
- Andrew’s Descent – Famous street packed with restaurants, galleries, and museums.
- Chernobyl Museum – Tells the story of the disaster at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.
Hotels and places to stay in and around Podil include:
- Podol Plaza Hotel
- Staro Hotel
- Riviera House
- Number 21 by DBI
- Amarant Hotel
Restaurants and Bars
Restaurants and bars in Podil are listed below.
The list was last updated on Friday 29th of November 2019.
|Happy Grill Bar||6 Petra Sahaidachnoho Street|
|American||$$||American bar and restaurant in Podil. Offers steaks, burgers etc. Known for its good-looking waitresses. Close to the Funicular and Fairmont Grand.|
|Ukrainian||$$||Ukrainian restaurant offering cuisine from all regions of the country. Located on a boat on the Dnieper River in the Podil area of the city.|
|PR Bar||6A Petra Sahaidachnoho Street|
|Bar||$$||Fantastic cosy bar in Podil. Great cocktails. |
|Vero Vero||18 Illinska Street|
|Italian||$$||Cosy Italian restaurant in the Podil area of the city. Great summer terrace with fountain.|