The Golden Gates of Kiev is a fortification that was part of the ancient city walls. It was built in the 11th century by Yaroslav the Wise, Grand Prince of Kiev, but subsequently fell into disrepair and was buried underground.
Archaeological excavations of the Golden Gates began in the 1832. In 1970 a pavilion was built over the ruins to protect them and recreate the original look of the gate. The pavilion was rebuilt in 1982 to mark the 1500th anniversary of the city. It currently houses a tourist information centre, small museum and offers great views of the city.
A bronze monument to Yaroslav the Wise stands in front of the gate. There’s also a smaller and more curious statue of a bronze cat called Pantyusha. In 1997 a fire at the nearby Pantagruel restaurant resulted in the death of its popular cat. Staff and diners raised some money and erected the statue in its memory. It is now a popular photo opportunity for tourists.
There are lots of places to eat and drink nearby. An outdoor café next to the Golden Gates is very pleasant in the summer months. The Golden Gate Irish Pub is also nearby.
The Golden Gates of Kiev is situated in the centre of city right next to Zoloti Vorota Metro Station.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
Golden Gates of Kiev
Nearest Metro Station(s): Zoloti Vorota